Fall weather is here which means a few things. Crisp weather, warm sweaters, comfort food and for my mister…Football Sunday. Now, I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the sport or spending the day watching it on the couch, BUT I do love the excuse to make delicious snacks for the game.
Typically Football snacks consist of wings, pizza, and nachos – which hey, I’m not complaining about BUT I wanted to make something a little more upscale and healthier. So I opted for this flatbread that I knew would still satisfy the Sunday Football cravings.
The recipe is super quick, so delicious and works just as well for a girls night appetizer or weeknight dinner. I used whole wheat Flatout wrap as the base which makes a perfect thin crust for the flatbread. (I think the brand also makes pizza crust but haven’t seen them in Canada yet). I used a generous spread of homemade pesto for the sauce and then topped it with some sautéed veggies – which less face it, are probably non-existent on a lot of Football Sundays.
It’s definitely not a typical Football snack, but this 20 minute recipe is a no brainer for game day! After you grab the full recipe below, be sure to check out some of my other favorite snacks and appetizers to make that would bode well on your Football Sunday.
You can't go wrong with this flavor combo. You can make this yummy flatbread for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer. Try swapping the ricotta cheese for goat cheese too.
- 2 Flatout Pizza Crusts
- 1/2 Cup Pesto (Store bought or search for my homemade recipe)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped white onion
- 2 cups roughly chopped mixed mushrooms (cremini, white, shiitake)
- 2 cups spinach
- 3-4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- olive oil
- splash of white wine
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Put Flatout crust in the oven to heat up while you prepare other ingredients.
- Sautée mushrooms and onion in olive oil, white wine, salt and pepper for 4-5 minutes.
- Add spinach to the mushrooms and onions and sautee for another 2 minutes until it is slightly wilted.
- Take the crust out of the oven and spread a layer of pesto all over.
- Top with the mushroom, onion and spinach mixture.
- Place dollops of ricotta all over.
- Put the pizza back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately.
More Sunday Football Favorites:
Don’t knock them til you try them! Super tasty and served with a tangy tzatziki.
Keeping up the the upscale theme, these antipasto skewers make for easy bites.
I included a chicken and veggie recipe – guaranteed you’ll enjoy either option!
Swapping in sweet potatoes for a healthier option – still makes for a GREAT appetizer or side dish.
What’s a party without a chip dip – love the combo of cheese and fresh herbs in this one.
And of course the classic! Can’t leave this off the list – serve it with veggies or chips.